William Hill Scottish Cup Final 2013
Hibernian 0-3 Celtic


The triumphant Celtic squad celebrate a record Scottish Cup success amidst a cascade of green and white confetti wearing t-shirts reading "Glasgow's Green and White" as the trophy was presented 


By Adam Higgins
Chief Scotland Correspondent from Hampden Park  

SPL champions Celtic clinched their first domestic double in six years after lifting the Scottish Cup as Gary Hooper's brace helped secure a routine victory over Hibernian.    

Eoin Doyle could have given Hibs an early lead but saw his central close range header parried by Hoops goalkeeper Fraser Forster - keeping his 23rd clean sheet of the season. The Glasgow outfit ruthlessly made them pay, expressing no signs of complacency, by breaking the deadlock shortly after with top scorer Hooper side-footing home his 81st goal for the club from an acute angle at the back post to connect with an inch-perfect delivery from strike partner Anthony Stokes. 

The front-two linked up effectively throughout with Stokes again providing a deft cross for Hooper to guide a looping header into the corner of the net to put Celtic in the driving seat before half-time. 

Despite enjoying moments of pressure in and around the penalty area, Hibs failed to threaten the Hoops goal with Joe Ledley's thumping strike eleven minutes from time completing the formalities and clinching a record 36th Scottish Cup triumph for the Parkhead club whilst recording a 15th league and cup double - their first under Neil Lennon. 

The long wait to lift the trophy extends to 111 years for Hibs since defeating Celtic 1-0 in 1902 as their hoodoo in the final continues, losing for the tenth successive time with five of the defeats coming at the hands of the Hoops. The Leith outfit's last piece of silverware came in the 2007 Scottish League Cup when John Collins was their manager as they suffered back-to-back losses in the Hampden showpiece following a similar fate in the 5-1 thrashing by Edinburgh rivals Hearts twelve months ago. 

Despite an indifferent SPL record against Hibs this term including a 2-2 draw at Parkhead in September and 1-0 defeat at Easter Road in December, Celtic have scored at least two goals in ten of their last twelve matches against Pat Fenlon's men, who have won just once in the last twelve meetings with the champions. The mere consolation for Hibs is the guarantee of European football next term, entering the first qualifying round of the Europa League in July. 

It has been the year of the underdog in the British Isles with St Mirren, Swansea City and Wigan Athletic making off with the major trophies so far this season in England and Scotland yet Hibs could not follow suit by succumbing to overwhelming favourites Celtic, who won by the same scoreline as their 2011 Scottish Cup triumph against Motherwell and their most recent success over Hibernian in the competition back in 2001 during the management days of Martin O'Neill. 

Bhoys boss Lennon - free to return to the dugout after being given a suspended touchline ban for entering the playing zone during their 3-1 defeat to Motherwell last month - can reflect on a hugely successful campaign consisting of 59 matches in which the Hoops claimed their second successive and 44th Scottish Premier League title on 21 April by a sixteen point margin, reached the last 16 of the Champions League and made the League Cup semi-finals where they lost 3-2 to St Mirren at Hampden in January.


Celtic have now won the Scottish Cup for a fifth time in ten seasons, the 95th major honour in the club's 125-year history. It is the second time Hibs have figured in back-to-back Scottish Cup finals - losing to both Celtic and Airdrie United in 1923 and 1924. 

Hibernian made two changes from their 1-0 victory over relegated Dundee in their final league match last weekend as Kevin Thomson replaced Lewis Stevenson in midfield while Eoin Doyle, who will leave to join League Two side Chesterfield in the summer, made a farewell start in attack in place of youngster Ross Caldwell. 28-year old captain James McPake failed a fitness test on a back injury which has kept him out since 28th April despite undergoing pain-killing injections therefore 19-year old Jordon Forster started a fourth consecutive match. Tim Clancy was back to full fitness having trained this week but wasn't risked following a month out with a groin problem. There were only three survivors from the team which began last season's final defeat by Hearts. 

Celtic made three alterations from last Sunday's convincing 4-0 win over Dundee United at Tannadice as Anthony Stokes came into the side against his old club, in place of Celtic fans' player of the year Georgios Samaras, to partner Gary Hooper in attack for just the tenth time this term. Charlie Mulgrew was back at the heart of defence after missing last weekend's final SPL game with a knee injury as Efe Ambrose dropped to the bench. James Forrest overcame a hamstring complaint to start on the right hand side in place of the departing Paddy McCourt. 

Scott Brown captained the side against his old club as fellow midfielders Beram Kayal and Victor Wanyama sat out through suspension having picked up yellow cards in the semi-final win over the Tangerines while Wales defender Adam Matthews missed out once again after failing to shrug off a hamstring problem. 

Both sides had to endure the rigours of extra-time in a truly memorable weekend of action in the semi-finals last month as Hibernian staged one of the greatest ever recovery missions in the second half to come from three goals down to beat First Division outfit Falkirk 4-3 in a thrilling encounter before Celtic saw off the resistance of fellow SPL side Dundee United by the same scoreline in a topsy-turvy contest. 

Hibs - who finished seventh in the SPL - entered the game on the back of three straight league wins during an unbeaten stretch of six games since losing 3-0 to Celtic at Parkhead at the beginning of April in the final SPL match before the split. Meanwhile, the Hoops ominously arrived at Hampden on the back of resounding 4-0 victories over St Johnstone and Dundee United respectively.  

A terrific atmosphere was generated around the national stadium on a glorious afternoon of sunshine with a huge roar before kick-off as the stage was set with pre-match mosaics and pitch coverings underlining the magnitude of the occasion. 


(13th appearance in the final)

Fourth Round -
  Hibernian (Zaliukas og) 1-0 Hearts                                             Match Report 

Fifth Round -  Hibernian (Deegan) 1-0 Aberdeen (Vernon missed pen)                  Match Report 

Quarter Final -  Kilmarnock 2-4 Hibernian (Griffiths 2, Done, Griffiths pen)             Match Report

Semi Final -  Hibernian (Griffiths 2, Harris, Doyle) 4-3 Falkirk                               Match Report               

Hibernian made a bright start to the contest with Leigh Griffiths - who cracked home the stunning winner in extra-time in the astonishing semi-final triumph over Falkirk - taking a potshot in the first ninety seconds which drifted over the crossbar from an impossible angle in the left channel as smoke bombs billowed across the turf in the early minutes, set off in the Celtic end of the ground. 

Tom Taiwo volleyed over the crossbar from the edge of the box after teeing himself up when collecting a cushioned pass from Alex Harris as Pat Fenlon's men continued their sprightly opening by applying concerted pressure to ask a few questions, forcing a couple of corners. The momentum was with the Leith outfit and only a sensational save from Fraser Forster, making his 50th appearance of the season, prevented them from forging a sixth minute lead in the cup final as Eoin Doyle's point-blank header was parried from Ryan McGivern's centre. 

However, against the run of play, Celtic broke the deadlock two minutes later as Stokes - who scored the winning goal in the topsy turvy semi-final win over Dundee United - retrieved the situation superbly after Mikael Lustig's centre was allowed to reach him at the back post and turned provider for strike partner Gary Hooper to sidefoot home only his second-ever Scottish Cup goal at the back post under the nose of McGivern as goalkeeper Ben Williams was left bamboozled by the high-hanging delivery. 

It gave Celtic first blood on the day of destiny and the ideal respite following a sluggish start to ignite the showpiece occasion and place the onus on Hibs to react positively. The tempo was quick and intensifying in the opening exchanges with Hibs pressing to respond immediately from the sickening blow while the Hoops were chasing a second and were beginning to enjoy the bulk of the possession, asserting their superiority.  

The SPL champions were becoming dominant in the middle of the park as the irrepressible Scott Brown, recently returned against St Johnstone after a three-month layoff with an abductor injury, and Joe Ledley began to dictate proceedings to retain the ball for sustained periods as a worried-looking Irishman Pat Fenlon, an ardent Celtic supporter, watched on from the sidelines as the ambience around the ground became somewhat subdued. 

Hibs were slowly turning the screw and building up a head of steam yet were shackled comfortably by the Hoops, posing a threat when moving forward themselves as 25-year old Hooper, with 19 goals in 32 SPL appearances this season, released Stokes who jinked away from the vulnerable Maybury before angling a low drive into the side netting from an acute angle. 

A vital stop from Hibs custodian Williams - captaining the side in the absence of skipper McPake - denied Ledley a second for Celtic as the Welshman peeled around the side of Jordon Forster, who made his debut in the Edinburgh derby win over Hearts earlier this month, to latch onto a delightfully arched pass from Kris Commons as the alarm bells rang for the Leith outfit as they switched off at the back momentarily and were almost punished. 

Neil Lennon, linked with the Everton managerial vacancy, became only the third Hoops boss to win the Scottish Cup four times as a player and twice as a manager after Jock Stein and Billy McNeil as he salutes the fans with the trophy in his clutches


This is the 128th year of the Scottish Cup, the third season in which its sponsors have been betting outlet William Hill

It is now recognised as the world's oldest national trophy in football

The first ever winners of the Scottish Cup were Queen's Park, who defeated Clyde at Hampden Park in 1874 in front of a crowd of 2,500

The final itself is the 100th Scottish Cup match of the season, ending a nine-month journey which began in the preliminary round back on 4 August

The 2013 final was the first to incorporate an extra two match officials with an additional assistant referee behind each goal


The frustration of losing the midfield battle was apparent with Jorge Claros warned about his conduct after bringing down Commons - making his 100th appearance for the club - while Taiwo sent Brown sprawling as they pushed forward but lacked a cutting edge in the final third which was proving the difference between the two sides with Celtic demonstrating their gulf in class and quality with a well-crafted second goal to give them breathing space. 

Another first-class cross from Stokes from the left hand side was difficult to defend with Hooper watching the cross all the way to guide a header back across Williams into the opposite corner to net his 31st goal of the campaign in the 31st minute, to the delight of Neil Lennon who jumped extravagantly from his seat in the dugout to embrace assistant Johan Mjallby. 

Hibs were in a precarious position with a small proportion of their supporters already heading for a premature exit while top scorer Griffiths ominously required treatment to his calf after landing awkwardly in a challenge with Charlie Mulgrew. The forward was able to resume and almost found an opening when latching onto a cross-field diagonal from on-loan Manchester City full-back McGivern, touching the ball past Forster but could not force the ball home as he tapped across the face of goal with no takers in green. 

Celtic were utilising the width of the huge Hampden pitch to their full advantage by stretching Hibs wide apart with a range of passing to drain their energy on a humid afternoon as Doyle and Griffiths - recalled to Gordon Strachan's Scotland squad as the Tartan Army boss watched on from the stands - gave the two central defenders time and space at the back to pass around at will before pressing to close them down. 

The contest was being played out at a lacklustre pace as half-time loomed with the Hoops faithful making all the noise around Hampden. A Kris Commons drive was lashed wide from twenty-five yards as a loose ball bounced kindly in his favour while former Rangers midfielder Kevin Thomson lashed over the crossbar at the other end from a defensive clearing header by Kelvin Wilson with Ledley in close proximity, screwing hopelessly off target which summed up the half from a Hibs perspective. 

Hibs probed in the early minutes of the second half in a similar manner to the first period as the tension grew yet were kept at arms length superficially by a Celtic side with a measure of control and a firm grip on the tie. The impressive Stokes, who scored 24 goals for Hibs in the 2009-10 campaign before moving to Glasgow, fired narrowly wide of the right hand post when cutting inside of Maybury from the left and 21-year old Forrest almost had a clear sight of goal when being freed in behind by Hooper. 

The first major flare-up of the final occurred on 54 minutes as Honduran international Claros cynically upended Brown - not his first offence - with the Celtic skipper jumping to his feet quickly to square up to the Hibs midfielder, reacting angrily at the challenge which brought a brawl from both sets of players. 


(55th appearance in the final)

Fourth Round -
  Celtic (Keddie og) 1-1 Arbroath                                                   Match Report 

Fourth Round Replay -  Arbroath 0-1 Celtic (Matthews)                                        Match Report  

Fifth Round -  Raith Rovers 0-3 Celtic (Commons pen, Forrest, Mulgrew)               Match Report 

Quarter Final -  St Mirren 1-2 Celtic (Ledley, Stokes)                                           Match Report

Semi Final -  Dundee United 3-4 Celtic (Commons 2, Wanyama, Stokes)              Match Report 

34-year-old referee Willie Collum - taking charge of his 52nd match of the campaign and officiating in his first Scottish Cup final - defused the situation as tempers frayed before booking both players, ensuring Claros will miss the first cup tie of next season if he remains with the club. Griffiths then saw yellow minutes later for a late kick out on Mulgrew as he charged down the clearance despite apologising to the defender, who didn't make a fuss. 

Pat Fenlon's men were encouragingly probing in the final third, with 18-year old Alex Harris a useful outlet down the right, and upping the ante which brought a raise in the decibel levels from the Leith faithful in the crowd although couldn't find the killer ball or the cohesion and penetration to trouble the Hoops backline despite gaining access to Celtic territory and taking up useful promising positions. 

At the other end, Hibs were caught wanting at the back when a forward punt from Lustig picked out Forrest down the right. The winger - with four goals in 28 appearances this season and seven senior caps for Scotland - saw his pullback towards Hooper cut out by former Celtic academy player Jordon Forster but the goalscorer was able to make use of the situation by digging out a rising first-time effort on the turn which flew over. 

Celtic were in control of the final which made the encounter rather dull in parts as they continued to boss possession with neither side able to conjure many clear sightings of goal in the third quarter of the game. Claros once again incurred the wrath of a Hoops player when grappling with Stokes, who was unhappy to see the free-kick decision go against him with the Hibs man being sensibly led away by team-mate Taiwo. 

Hibs introduced 19-year old Danny Handling - a first-half substitute who helped to turn the tide in the semi-final - as Eoin Doyle took his leave in his final appearance for the club on 71 minutes in the hope of injecting fresh enthusiasm to the cause to spark a late surge from the Edinburgh outfit during a prominent spell. Fellow youngster Ross Caldwell also entered the fray shortly after in place of the ineffective Thomson while Kris Commons, with 19 goals this term, swapped places with Georgios Samaras for Celtic with fifteen minutes to go. 


This is the first time ever that the Scottish Cup final has been played on a Sunday. The team who have scored first have gone on to win the last nine finals. 

The game was beginning to gather pace again and form an end-to-end feel which ebbed and flowed although the Hoops were out of  sight and increased the margins further in the 79th minute following another step up in the gears to round off a patient passage of play. Stokes waited for the overlapping run of Lustig before releasing the bombing Swedish right-back whose ground-level cross was inviting for Hooper. 

The striker took a swipe and completely missed his kick but a fortuitous ricochet off Maybury directed the ball into the path of Ledley - who missed the 2011 final against the Steelmen because of injury - to crash home on the swivel into the top corner past a helpless Williams, who is set to be married on 31st May, for his tenth goal of the campaign to put the icing on a comprehensive triumph. 

Brown was given a standing ovation as he was replaced by Efe Ambrose seconds later with Ledley taking over the captain's armband. The Hoops were utterly dominant in the closing stages, exercising themselves with a neat passing rhythm to see out the final minutes in an exhibition manner with the ball being zipped around in a training mode as the "You'll Never Walk Alone" anthem rang around Hampden Park. 

Hibs supporters were making themselves heard and admirably supporting the team right until the end as Griffiths said an emotional farewell when being withdrawn on 84 minutes, gingerly trotting off and applauding the fans with longest serving player Lewis Stevenson taking his place. 

The Celtic name was already being engraved on the trophy in the tunnel area as Stokes drifted a cross-cum-shot over the crossbar. Paddy McCourt made his 70th and final appearance off the substitutes bench, given the captain's responsibility, for the Hoops with two minutes to spare in place of Forrest. The Irishman danced into the penalty area, slaloming away from Stevenson and Forster superbly and teed up Hooper to drill over. At the other end, Hibs' academy player of the year for 2013 Harris, starting for the seventh time in eight games, skewed a rash attempt wide of the target.

As the referee brought proceedings to a close, a resounding cheer echoed around the stadium as Hibs players congregated despondently in the dugout whilst the Bhoys savoured the moment and milked the celebrations. The wait as Hibs collected their runners-up momentos was finally over as former Hibee Scott Brown lifted the trophy aloft in the air jubilantly before the squad received their medals and paraded the pitch donning banners "Scottish Cup winners 2013" and shirts reading "Double Winners 2013". 

The prolific Gary Hooper proved Hibernian's undoing as he climbed superbly to meet a delightful centre from strike partner Anthony Stokes to head Celtic into a healthy two-goal cushion just after the half hour mark



Leigh Griffiths (Hibernian) 

Age:  22 (Scotland international) 

28 goals in all competitions this season with 13 goals in his final 14 appearances

Five goals in four Scottish Cup appearances in 2012-13 (including hat-trick against Kilmarnock in quarter-finals and brace in semi-finals against Falkirk)

SPL's sponsors player of the year 

Scotland writers' player of the year

PFA Scotland young player of the year 

Griffiths looks to have played his final game for the club as parent club Wolves, relegated from the Championship to League One, have taken up the option of a further year on his contract following two successful campaigns on loan at his boyhood club Hibs. 

Gary Hooper (Celtic)


Age:  25 (England international) 

31 goals in 51 appearances in all competitions this season, as well as 22 goals in 36 games in 2010-11 and 29 goals in 50 appearances in 2011-12

Celtic's top scorer for a third season running

Named in the PFA SPL team of the year for 2010-11 and 2011-12 

Two Scottish Premier League player of the month awards 

Has not gone five matches without scoring for Celtic since joining from Scunthorpe United for £2.4 million in the summer of 2010

Scored all five goals in a 5-0 victory over Hearts in May 2012 to clinch the SPL's golden boot ahead of Dundee United striker Jon Daly

Hooper could have played his final match for the Glasgow club with English Premier League side Norwich City interested in his services. 

Adam Higgins
The Football Site -  Chief Scotland Correspondent

"Celtic expressed why they are the best side in the country on a sunny afternoon at the national stadium by underlining their overwhelming qualities by blowing away a Hibs side who have improved this season and were much better than twelve months ago against Hearts but still showed there are considerable shortcomings in their armour. A Scottish Cup and SPL double as well as a run to the Champions League knockout stages presents a triumphant campaign for the Glasgow side in a year in which they were expected to take a clean sweep in the silverware stakes in the absence of Old Firm rivals Rangers in the top division. It hasn't been entirely plain sailing but they have got there in the end. In terms of the final, it was as comfortable as the scoreline suggests and from the moment they took the lead inside eight minutes, they didn't look back and there was going to be only one outcome. Hibs began brightly and should have been infront before conceding the first goal. If Eoin Doyle heads that either side of Fraser Forster and it's 1-0 to Hibs and probably a completely different complexion. The connection was far too central and the keeper has ended up making a brilliant reaction stop. Such is the ruthless nature of a team of Celtic's stature, they make you pay instantly. Hibernian have struggled to deal with crosses all season long. It has undoubtedly been their achilles heel and this fraility was evident in the first half in particular. Ryan McGivern doesn't get back at the far post to track Gary Hooper. The cross was absolutely perfect with pace and directness from Stokes. It was a dream of a ball right on the money for Hooper, whose finish was difficult to execute but well accomplished. Stokes and Hooper have been tearing defences apart in the SPL since they started working in tandon three years ago and it was like friends reunited today. The pair worked so well together. Pat Fenlon won't be happy at all about the defending for the goals which really was abysmal, as seen for the second when Stokes had all the time in the world to pick out his strike partner again. Hibs struggled to create meaningful scoring opportunities in the opening 45 minutes. The lead was unassailable at half-time as Celtic were over the hills and far away. Celtic and Gary Hooper showed their killer instinct to great effect and that was the difference. Joe Ledley has enjoyed an outstanding campaign and it was a fitting moment for him to add his name to the scoresheet in the second half having missed the final two years ago through injury. It took him to double figures this season in terms of goals and is a player that has thrived on the big stage this term, establishing himself as one of the first names on Neil Lennon's team sheet. He couldn't have hit it any better. It was a second half which didn't light up but trust Scott Brown to spice the affair up with his usual tricks in starting a tussle over nothing. It at least woke many of us from our slumber as the pace and tempo seemed flat rather than the intense nature of the first half. The talk about whether Neil Lennon will stay on as manager will loom large even more now after this victory. Whether he stays put or ups sticks is anyone's guess but if was to make tracks, he would be leaving a successful club in a fruitful position having laid down the foundations to kick on to bigger and better things in the coming years. People will question how Celtic could possibly build on this year's success next season. For me, it's quite simple. They can win the treble, which is no easy feat for any team in any league. There is always room for improvement in any side and they could manage it if they hold on to their prized assets. Hibs didn't play too badly but were beaten on the day by a far better team. Losing Leigh Griffiths will be a monumental blow and will leave a huge void in attack and massive shoes to fill. Replacing his goals will be extremely difficult, but not as difficult as lifting the oldest cup in football it seems. The long wait to lift the Scottish Cup for the Hibs fans goes on. If you're counting, I make it 112 years."


Sunday 26th May 2013

William Hill Scottish Cup Final

Hampden Park (Glasgow)

Hibernian 0-3 Celtic                                  KO 3pm           Live on Sky Sports 1/HD1 & BBC1 Scotland/HD          (HT 0-2)

                  Hooper 8, 31 
                  Ledley 79 


(Celtic win the 2013 Scottish Cup)




1 Ben Williams (C)-  6.5/10  The goalkeeper took control of the captain's armband for the first time on a proud day for him on a personal level. Getting married next week and cannot show off the medal at the wedding like he had dreamed but couldn't be blamed for any of the goals. Made one or two vital stops too. 

18 Alan Maybury-  6/10   A poor display from the versatile defender. Always looked vulnerable and susceptible, letting Commons and Stokes cut in from the left with relative ease. Should have cleared the ball better in the first instance and closed down Stokes quicker in the build-up to the first goal while his scraped clearance led to Ledley adding a third. 

4 Paul Hanlon-  6/10  Was completely thrown off the scent by the movement and interchanging between Stokes and Hooper and didn't really act as the more senior figure at the heart of the defence. Didn't track the runs effectively enough and was stationed on the same spot for much of the game. 

37 Jordon Forster-  7/10  The 19-year old was making just a fourth senior appearance at the heart of the defence in McPake's absence. Didn't really look out of place. Could have cleared his lines a bit quicker at times when under pressure but positioned himself well and distributed the ball efficiently. 

3 Ryan McGivern-  6/10  The on-loan Manchester City full-back got forward well early on, creating the headed chance for Doyle but was suspect at the back. Culpable for the first goal in which he failed to tuck in to anticipate the back post run of Hooper. Struggled at times to stop Forrest, afforded him too much room. 

33 Alex Harris-  6.5/10  A quiet game for the 18-year old, who failed to assert and impose himself on the encounter. Never really given the opportunity to run at Izaguirre and provide crosses. Didn't get into advanced areas and was doubled up on when in possession. A promising talent, nevertheless. 

20 Tom Taiwo-  7.5/10  A relatively assured afternoon in which he looked accomplished in possession and was probably Hibs' best performer. Kept the ball spraying around in parts when Hibs were in control of it. Neat and tidy whilst covering a lot of ground. 

8 Jorge Claros-  5/10  A very uncomfortable afternoon for the Honduran. Was being targeted by Celtic players for his temperament, which he sometimes failed to keep in check. Mistimed several tackles, couldn't get to grips in possession and had a spat with Brown in which he received a yellow card. 

38 Kevin Thomson-  6.5/10  Never really saw much of the midfielder down the left hand side. Tried to get into advanced positions but couldn't find the killer pass to unlock the Celtic back-line. Looked out of position on the flank and uncertain. Kept in check by Mikael Lustig and later replaced. 

9 Leigh Griffiths-  7/10  A farewell appearance in a Hibs jersey for the former Livingston striker who has cleaned up the Scotland player of the year prizes. Despite having an outstanding season, he didn't really show up on cup final day, having a lesser impact with no clear-cut chances and didn't look 100% fit. 

10 Eoin Doyle-  6.5/10  Made his final outing in a Hibs shirt before leaving to join Chesterfield in the summer. Had the gilt-edged opportunity, their best of the entire game, inside six minutes to put Hibs infront but headed straight at Forster. Substituted in the second half. 

Substitutes bench:-
31 Murdoch (GK), 16 Stevenson, 28 Robertson, 24 Handling, 29 Caldwell. 

Subs used:

Handling (for Doyle-  71 mins)-  3.5/10  Was lively and sprightly with a couple of channel runs but couldn't make anything purposeful happen for Hibs in the final third, something they lacked all afternoon. 

Caldwell (for Thomson-  76 mins)-  2.5/10  The teenager entered the fray with the usual exuberance you see from him, always looking to make an impression and carry the fight with a couple of moments on the ball but was crowded out by Celtic players. 

Stevenson (for Griffiths-  84 mins)-  1.5/10  Came on to try and stiffen up the left hand side with the outcome long since decided. Given a brief run out to take off the injured Griffiths and did a solid enough job in the minutes that remained. 

        Claros (54), Griffiths (58)

Sent-off:        None 




1 Fraser Forster-  7/10  Not a great deal for the keeper to do on an afternoon in which he was a mere spectator. Called upon in the sixth minute to produce a fine reflex stop to thwart Eoin Doyle's header. Otherwise, he wasn't engaged. Completes his third campaign at Celtic with his lowest tally of clean sheets to date. 

23 Mikael Lustig-  7.5/10   The Swede was a constant threat pushing forward, providing the low cross which led to Stokes creating the opener likewise supplying the delivery in the build-up to Ledley's goal. Never tested defensively and had the freedom to bomb into the final third. 

6 Kelvin Wilson-  8/10  A comfortable afternoon for the centre-back, who saw a lot of the ball as Doyle and Griffiths didn't feel the need to press high up the pitch. Given all the time in the world to pick which ever pass he liked. Always an option to pass back too. Carried out his defensive duties when needed. 

21 Charlie Mulgrew-  7.5/10  Will not have an easier game in a cup final. Just returned from injury but looked his bright and enthusiastic self. Didn't get forward into the final third as much as he normally does but sometimes moved up into midfield to receive the ball. Defensively sound and worked well in tandon with Wilson. 

3 Emilio Izaguirre-  7/10  Didn't see a great deal of the left-back with Celtic opting to attack more down the right but still popped up in advanced positions. Similarly to Lustig, a license to venture forward at will, jockeyed Harris superbly and never let him get into the game. 

49 James Forrest-  7.5/10  The winger had a positive attitude and was an unremitting source of danger from the flank. Came in-field at times and had a great understanding with Lustig. Provided some decent deliveries into the box. Looked fresh but sometimes tried to over-play. Substituted in the second half. 

8 Scott Brown (C)-  8.5/10  A terrific match for the former Hibs midfielder. Always offered himself to his team-mates, never gave the ball away and played on the front-foot. One flare-up with Claros early in the second half which saw him receive a booking for his complaints and reaction to the Honduran's tackle. Took his leave early to prepare to lift the trophy. 

16 Joe Ledley-  8.5/10  The Welshman has enjoyed an impeccable campaign and today was no different. Got in on the act with a goal 11 minutes from time which summed up his intent to get into the box. Always intricate in his play, positive in his approach and broke up Hibs passing rhythm too. 

15 Kris Commons-  7/10  One of those quieter games for the Scotsman but still had an effect with some incisive passes and surges into Hibs territory. A couple of shots over and wide but didn't have his usual influence. Replaced by Samaras on 75 minutes. 

10 Anthony Stokes-  9.5/10  A sensational display from the ex-Hibs striker. Repaid the faith Neil Lennon had in him to start ahead of Samaras. Provided two beautiful crosses for the two Hooper goals which were begging to be stuck away. Always on the move, running in between defenders and was a real danger. Great link-up play with Hooper. Man of the match performance. 

88 Gary Hooper-  9/10  Two goals in a major cup final highlights why he is so pivotal to the Celtic cause. One fine finish from a tight angle and a well-steered header. Worked well with Stokes and ought to have had a hat-trick. Not been in the limelight much this term but still ends it with 31 goals - two more than last season. 

Substitutes bench:-
24 Zaluska (GK), 4 Ambrose, 18 Rogic, 20 McCourt, 9 Samaras.

Subs used:

Samaras (for Commons-  76 mins)-  2.5/10  Given a run-out by Neil Lennon after being left out of the starting line-up in preference to Anthony Stokes. Held up the ball well when he had to and played a part in Celtic's attacking flow late on. 

Ambrose (for Brown-  81 mins)-  2/10  Didn't see a lot of the Nigerian as he came on for the final ten minutes in place of the skipper. Slotted into a central defensive midfield birth, kept possession ticking over and didn't have a great deal to do. 

McCourt (for Forrest-  88 mins)-  1.5/10  A brief cameo, his 70th appearance from the substitutes bench in Celtic colours, and final stint in a green and white shirt having announced his departure this summer. Took over the captain's armband. One good run into the box which set up a chance for Hooper. 

        Brown (55)

Sent-off:        None


My Man of the Match:  Anthony Stokes (Celtic) - Rating 9.5/10

My Poorest Performer of the Match:  Jorge Claros (Hibernian) - Rating 5/10


Referee: Willie Collum (Scotland) - 9.5/10
Assistant Referees: Willie Conquer (Scotland) and Martin Cryans (Scotland)
Fourth Official: Alan Mulvanny (Scotland)
Additional Assistant Referees: John Beaton (Scotland) and Bobby Madden (Scotland)

Attendance: 51,254

Match Facts

Hibernian- 50%              Celtic- 50%

Shots: Hibernian- 8                 Celtic- 10

Shots on target: Hibernian- 3              Celtic- 5

Shots off target: Hibernian- 5              Celtic- 5

Corners: Hibernian- 4                Celtic- 0

Fouls: Hibernian- 18               Celtic- 6

Offside: Hibernian- 0                Celtic- 2

Assists: Hibernian- 0 (None)               Celtic- 2 (Stokes 2) 




Hibernian FC manager Pat Fenlon

"We've finished seventh in the league, which is a good few places higher than we were. We've picked up 19 points more and we are in Europe. I can't ask any more of my players. We've contributed to a decent enough game. We came up against a really good side. We had the best chance early on with Eoin's (Doyle) header. I think if that goes in it becomes a different game, because there's a pressure on Celtic to win football matches, but I can't fault the players today for effort and everything else. Everybody expects Celtic to win matches in Scotland. If you score first against them, they become edgy and the crowd becomes edgy, but it wasn't to be. Celtic caused us problems with their movement. We contributed to the game, but that little bit of quality, a lot of quality in fact, Celtic have has won the game for them. I said to the players, 'you can be proud of your performances - you have nothing to be ashamed of'. The fans were magnificent, but they've been like that all season. They stayed right to the bitter end. They are a credit to their club. We'd love to keep him (Leigh Griffiths). He's a Wolves player and we have to respect that. I've said before, we'll do our best to keep him, but probably, at the end of the day, the decision will come down to Wolves."

Click here for the post-match thoughts of Hibs boss Pat Fenlon


Celtic FC manager Neil Lennon 

"People have nipped away at what we've done over the years, the tainted titles, no competition. And they've missed what's really on the pitch. We've got a really special young team here. They should get the respect they deserve now because they've been fantastic. They've been at the sharp end all season - this is their 59th game - and they looked as fresh as daisies. Mr Desmond's here, Peter's here, maybe we'll have a wee chat later. It's always the same this time of the season. I just wanted to get through today and we've done that. You never tire of days like this. To win the double as a manager and as a player is pretty special. It's going to be hard to emulate that next season. I feel great now. I felt awful all day. I was really nervous, the stomach churning, butterflies, all that sort of thing. Just the weight of expectancy and history really and I knew how much it meant to Hibs to win the Cup today. I really wanted to get over the line with this one. That's four trophies in three years. Martin (O'Neill) did that, so I'm happy with that. To emulate what he did in his first three years is pretty special to me. The performances of Gary (Hooper), Anthony (Stokes) and Scott (Brown) were nothing short of immense. I'm really proud. They were all quality. (Eoin) Doyle had a great header saved in the first three minutes so the result was not a four-gone conclusion by any means. You've got to give credit to the Hibs supporters. They got behind their team all day and, even at 3-0, they were fantastic."

Click here for the post-match thoughts of Hoops boss Neil Lennon

Click here for the post-match thoughts of the winning Celtic players


Make a Free Website with Yola.